Thursday, July 28, 2016

Hey Fambily!!

Hey Everyone! I hope things are going well at home.  Here are a few highlights of the week!  :)

On Sunday, my district sang, "How Great Thou Art" in our Sacrament Meeting. It was really neat. We sang it in Korean, acapella.
My District is doing a "3D" sign, cause that is our district, haha!
Also last night a new Korean sister missionary showed up at the MTC! Today is when they are all coming! And she said that she knew Allie from Korea! She said that one time she was in a fast and testimony meeting and Allie bore her testimony, and it gave her the courage to share hers, too, because Allie was new to Korean! So way to go, sis! Also a few weeks ago she saw Allie, and said her Korean is great and Allie can understand everything she said to her. Awesome! It made me so happy to meet her. She is going to be a great missionary.


Yesterday was the weekly Tuesday devotional. Spencer (J?) Condie spoke and was awesome! He used a lot of humor in what he said, haha! He quoted President Hinckley at one point and imitated his voice--it was pretty good! He talked about the vision of the Tree of Life and the different parallels it has. One cool thing about it is that the water by the tree was pure and clean, but as it flowed downstream, it became more murky. And in Nephi it says that the filthiness of the water separated the great and spacious building from the Tree of Life--oftentimes Satan mixes up, twists, and modifies truth in order to prevent people from reaching to God. And sometimes things are quite different than they seem to be, and we just have to keep pressing forward through the mist until the Tree of Life comes back into view!
With Benton Tripp!!
We are still teaching about every day.  I am loving it. Teaching is probably my favorite thing that we do (but gym time is right up there...). It is cool because we kind of see the Korean fruits of our classroom labors, haha! I loved our second TRC, too. It was super neat, and we taught this sweet Korean sister who was so bubbly and fun.  I hear that a lot of Koreans are like that :).

My District!
There are definitely ups and downs here! I am learning that when I am physically tired I am super susceptible to Satan's fiery darts, which is tough, because I am exhausted a lot. So I am working on staying excited and active and turning outward rather than inward. I encourage you all to listen to Character of Christ by Elder Bednar! It mentions how Jesus Christ's defining characteristic is that he turns outward when we would selfishly turn inward. It is awesome.

Korean is going well! I really love the language and my teachers. And my district has a pretty good reputation of being one of the best districts in the Celestial branch :)
You have to do the famous back flip picture at the MTC!

This is a really nice elder, a convert from Haiti.

This is Elder Y--he is one of my best friends here.
One awesome thing was on the 24th, for the Devo, we sang with the Nashville Tribute band! It was so fun and awesome. I was skeptical about their type of music, but it was honestly just what I needed. It picked me up. They would tell a story about Joseph Smith or read a scripture, and then sing a song about it. I was in the choir and we sang 3 songs with them. Seriously, I thought they were cheesy as anything, but when we actually performed with them, it was powerful to hear the huge MTC choir, the biggest group they've had, singing together about missionary work. We sang, "When the Son of Man Comes Again," "John's Song," and "I was Born."  It was great! You could feel how much the band loved God, the Gospel, and us, and it translated to a powerful spiritual feeling.  When we love God, the Gospel, and our investigators (or home teaching, visiting teaching families, students, etc.) it results in a more powerful feeling of the spirit with us :)

Love

Elder Beckett

No comments:

Post a Comment