Friday, February 17, 2017

Hello Family! I love you All!! (Feb. 12, 2017)

(Disclaimer from Mom:  All the pictures in this week's email are from his companion's blog; Nate has not been able to send pictures, so Elder M gets all the credit for pictures!)
Our District
Hello! Let me tell you about my week.  First of all, I'm sad now that I am on email a different day than Allie for her last two p-days. It was fun emailing back and forth. It has been so wonderful serving in the same country, at the same time as my sister! What a sweet and tender privilege that my Heavenly Father gave to me. He knew that at times when I perhaps couldn't go on in my own strength, that I could look to my sister who had gone before me, who had experienced all the new things that individually may not be big deals, but can add up to a lot of stress! Whether it is suddenly being in a huge city (compared to cute little Grantsville), all the food being totally different, trying to make friends with people but struggling because of language barriers, wanting to share your testimony but struggling, sleeping in a new way, doing laundry in a new way, showering in a new way, people ignoring you on the street, people telling you that you are a sinner, and people you love and want to serve and help blocking you, cutting off all contact--Allie has known exactly how I have felt as I have faced all of this. Not only could I know that she knew that, but she also has sent me frequent letters, emails, and cute packages, encouraging me to keep going!  Telling me that I can do it! She knows how I feel, and she made it through, so so could I.  Heavenly Father knew I would need that--and He lovingly planned for my needs.  Our loving Father in Heaven always will take care of us, even when we can't see how we will make it through. He had a plan for me and my mission!

I would like to draw a parallel for One Other who knows exactly how we feel--the Lord and Redeemer Jesus Christ. I would like to share one of my favorite verses of scripture about our Savior's Atonement--which made possible our "At One"-ment with God. This is found in the Book of Mormon. I love this great book. I love the Bible, too. The Bible is very valuable in providing insight to our Savior's life and ministry, His teachings, His miracles, His example. However, the Book of Mormon has special power. The Book of Mormon provides particular insight about our Savior's sacrifice for us--the Atonement. In a very clear way we learn what Christ really did in Gethsemane, and on the Cross at Calvary:

11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and sicknesses of his people.

12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

13 Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me.

Our God knew we would struggle during this life. He knew we would need guidance, we would need someone to go before us, to feel what we would feel and to perfectly understand us. He made that plan and provided for our needs. He knew we would be imperfect and sent us a Savior. And the Savior didn't only pay the price for our sins and transgressions--but he also felt physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually--everything we are capable of experiencing, and more. Pains, afflictions, temptations, death, infirmities. I am so grateful that My Father, My God, sent someone before me who I could look to, in whom I can find solace, my Savior and Hero Jesus Christ. And we are meant to do that! Without suffering all those pains physically, the Savior already understood how we could feel--"Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh." Why do you think He did that? Why did He feel it all physically, according to the flesh?  It was for us! For us to be able to know that He knows us! I know that's true. May we continually treasure that Atonement and use it in our lives--not only for overcoming sin, but also for overcoming weakness, for becoming better, for starting anew and recommitting and trying again! That is the Atonement's purpose! And I know that is true, and share that in the name of He who suffered all for us, even Jesus Christ, Amen.

OK! So Brother J--he is the one we went hiking with a few weeks ago. We met him on the first day of the transfer, my first night in Sangin. Well, it is our last week of the transfer! And he is set to be baptized Saturday, and confirmed on Sunday. Pray for him! Pray for things to go smoothly, pray for him to be able to be baptized this Saturday. He is so good--He has so much faith. We met him a few times this week. It was super good each time. Even though my Korean is so inadequate, through me, my companion, the spirit, and members we taught with, things turned out pretty well. I am grateful for the Spirit who is the real teacher! And wonderful members to teach with. We are so excited for this miracle, and especially to see how Brother J is changing his life.  What a good man!


r

We also found another new investigator through morning proselyting! Every morning from 7:30 to 9:00 we get out and talk to people on the streets, and then come back and do personal study, and then fit in other things as needed. I LOVE the new schedule--except we are getting less sleep now because it is still hard to get to bed before 10:30, and we have to get up a little earlier. But yeah, it is super good! I love it! And Allie, I received one letter recently from you, but we haven't gone to the mission office in a while, so I probably have one waiting. Did you get my letter? I will miss you being in Korea so much, Allie!


Take care, all.  I'll talk to you next week! And I love my sweet sister Allie.  Go get them this last week, girl! I'm praying for you. You have done so much good among the people of Korea here. Give it all this last week, and you will see miracles! You are so inspiring to me, and I'm sure proud of you and excited some day to talk with you face to face about Korea and our missions.

Sorry no pictures today, I will send you pictures next week.  PS--this is the last week of the transfer. I so hope I can stay in Sangin again with Elder M.  I love love love love it here!

Love,

Elder B

No comments:

Post a Comment