Friday, May 26, 2017

Happy Birthday to Dad! (May 21, 2017)

Happy birthday to Dad! I can't believe you are 40!  :)  And to think you only look 39!  Haha, I sure love my pops! Special day for you and us. It was so fun to see you all on Skype last week!  You all seem to be doing great, and I loved to see you.

Here's an excerpt from my letter to President:  "This week we saw some great things happen in Sangin! We visited that man who works at the Citizen Center a second time, shared our favorite BOM scriptures with him, and invited him to read the introduction before we visit this week! So he became a new investigator. I think he sees our visits mostly as friends, and while I do want to be his friend, I think we need to be a little more clear to him about our purpose. When I invited him to read the introduction (he likes English), he said, "If you command me to!" as a kind of joke. I took the time to explain how important this book is to me, that it isn't just nice words or something, but something that I really knew would bless and help his life. I am grateful the spirit prompted me to do that, because if our investigators don't understand why we invite them to act, they may think we are just pushy, or it isn't that important, etc., but when they understand why, they are far more likely to keep commitments. He accepted the commitment, and said we are welcome to visit again this week.


Here we are with our ward mission leader in an elevator

Two awesome brothers in our ward, both super nice, good guys! And hilarious, as you can see!
We also saw a miracle yesterday--suddenly a college student showed up at church during Sunday School and stayed the rest of the time through priesthood. He was someone with originally English interest whom I had met about 2 months ago on the subway. At that time, he didn't want to give us his phone number, so we just gave him an English card. Then yesterday he came to church! He seemed to really enjoy it, and we texted him last night to say thanks for coming. He said that he has been sad lately struggling with things, different trials--but meeting all the people at church cheered him up, and he wants to come next week! I want to help him realize the greater reason for church, the sacrament, and learning of God. He is interested in learning about that too! We never understand how every little effort we make, every little touch, every small conversation, could affect someone!

Sorry to you all, but I'd better go. I love you all so much and think the world of you. Remember how important and special you are! Every one of you. We met with a less active 22 year old kid yesterday, and just told him how much of God's love for him that we could feel. We get that as missionaries sometimes. It is a great blessing!  Keep going forward!

Love
Elder Beckett

No comments:

Post a Comment