Saturday, July 1, 2017

Yeongdo Island! Transfer time! (June 26, 2017)

I got transferred to an island--- in Korean 영도. I think in English... Tahiti? Or maybe Yeongdo-gu ;)


(Photo by mom from Google Maps)
I am really going to miss Sangin! We were meeting some great people there-- I will miss especially brother S, but I feel like we will be friends forever! He is Andy's age, and is going to live in Philippines for a couple months, but I bet when he gets back to Sangin he will be baptized! He is a great guy. We were finally able to teach him the Plan of Salvation, and he had some good questions!  I love the Plan of Salvation. There is so much to learn from the wonderful Plan of Happiness! The Plan of Happiness is the "why" of the Gospel, and as we focus on that, we will find more desire, hope, and motivation in our lives. 

My new area is called Yeongdo-gu, it is an island not far from the coast of the mainland, and is connected by a couple bridges back over. We are surrounded by water, but aside from that the area looks normal! The branch here is very small, with only 2 Melchezidek priesthood holders besides me and my amazing new companion, Elder A. Elder A is from Australia, but his heritage is Chilean! He has been out 2 transfers less than me. Super fun-loving kid and I look forward to working with him here!

This area is kind of small-- whereas in Sangin we were super busy, meeting less actives, members, investigators, etc, here is quite small. We will probably be spending a lot of time finding in the hot sun. Pray for us! It is times like these that I really have to remind myself of my missionary purpose-- why am I sharing the Gospel? Why am I on a mission? 

We share the Gospel for a variety of reasons. First off-- living according to the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the only way that our brothers and sisters on this earth can return to live with their Heavenly Father and families forever in eternal happiness!

Why?

I don't think it is some mean God trying to set a high standard to prevent his children from reaching Him. Would any loving Father do that? No. But perhaps because, as it says in Doctrine and Covenants 121  "That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness." Perhaps the reason God instituted the Gospel is because we literally cannot fulfill our spiritual or physical potential any other way! Some way, beyond our understanding, like the rigorous training of a professional athlete, the Gospel prepares us for what lies ahead-- something far more important than an athletic competition.

Also-- I have seen the blessings of the Gospel. I have seen the strength, joy, real peace it brings into our lives.

I love you all! Thank you for your wonderful emails. We got back really late after transfers, so I only could email for a short time-- sorry about that! I love you all so much!

Elder Beckett

1 comment:

  1. Love that Elder Beckett!!! How exciting and strange for him to be serving on an island in a small branch. Nate will leave his mark though and touch lives there, for sure.

    ReplyDelete