Friday, September 23, 2016

Week 2 in Korea/Earthquakes! (September 19, 2016)

Aloha family! Wow, things are good here, and super hard! But I like it. These are the times that build character. I love to hear from you all and sure love you!! And happy birthday Ryan, you champ!

Sorry, next week I will try to email earlier. Today all the people in my district wanted to go to a bird park, kind of like Tracy Aviary, so we didn't finish until late.

Today we visited that bird park...this happened!
Some things:

1.  This week we went to the mission home with half of the mission to do a Chusoak 5k/10k! Chusoak is a Korean holiday that is big; it lasts for 3 days! So we celebrated as a mission by doing a fun run. It was so cool, and I got to meet a lot of missionaries. Sadly, most of my MTC group came on the other day they did it, so I only saw two of them. But almost everyone there knew Allie, and so they were super friendly to me! Allie is a hero. Everyone just loves her!
Some candid pictures sent by my Mission President's wife, haha, at the 5k!


More pictures of me running with Elder O., the AP. He is super nice!




Because we went to the 5k, I got my mail! And I got a package from my sweet sister Allie! It was awesome.. She was SO THOUGHTFUL and GENEROUS! All kinds of delicious treats and cute pictures. She also decorated a planner for me. It was awesome!! She got me a cute desk garbage with googly eyes! She sent some delicious ramen, and we had just run out. She sent cereal since she never got some when she arrived in Korea. It made me sososo happy, and I had been having a rough couple of days. She sent me a copy of her name tag, etc. THANK YOU ALLIE!! I NEEDED IT!  I was going to attach some pictures but can't make them work.

Also, earthquakes...whoa!! We definitely felt them (They had two earthquakes, a 5.1 and a 5.8, centered right in Nate's first area). We were having family home evening at the time. Two hit; nobody was hurt, and it wasn't super big, but it was a little scary!

One cool quick experience. Our Grantsville Ward young women gave me a Book of Mormon in English to give away. But I am in Korea, and it is in English. So I knelt down and prayed that I would find someone to give the book to who was from America, and brought the book with me proselyting. Well, I didn't find an American, but I saw someone who was American looking, and approached them. I said, "Hi there! Where are you from?"  "Armenia."  "Why are you in Korea?"  "Just trying to find my purpose."  No joke, that is what he said! And he was super good at English. He has researched every religion, and doesn't believe, I don't think, but I gave him the BOM, showed him H.B.'s testimony in the front of it, and he softened and committed to read the whole thing! Whoa! I told him I had prayed to find someone who could speak English well enough to read it, and I gave him the book. We didn't get his contact info--he is kind of a wanderer, but it was a cool experience.
A picture of the new missionaries arriving at the airport, sent to us by the Mission Home.

Nate and his companion with the Mission President & wife.

I love you all so much! I pray for you and love love you!  Have a great week.

Love
Elder Beckett

2 comments:

  1. I started bawling when I read Nate'a words in describing Allie: "Allie is a hero here." I love, love, love reading up on his adventures. And what a cool story about the English Book of Mormon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started bawling when I read Nate'a words in describing Allie: "Allie is a hero here." I love, love, love reading up on his adventures. And what a cool story about the English Book of Mormon.

    ReplyDelete