Thursday, December 15, 2016

Prayer Brings Peace (Dec. 11, 2016)

Hello Family!

Things in Gyung Ju are going! This week we had some good and bad, like always. But I have seen God's hand in my life, and for that I am so grateful!

 We had to drop one of our investigators. After the last lesson, he blocked us on his phone so we can't contact him anymore. I wish he would have spoken openly about his problems with us, but he just dropped us. That's two that have happened that way. He was originally going to be baptized this Sunday, so we are sad about that. He was a super smiley guy who came from China.

Here is a picture when Elder Whiting came. I am on the back right.
As for S from Uzbekistan--I love S!  He has a cute little family and we teach them together.  I told you he attended a different church in Uzbekistan, so he knows a lot about Christianity. And he and his wife have come to church about 3 times or so! His wife is great--she reads, prays, and repents. But S won't really make any commitments. Since we met him, he has started praying to God, which is great, but he won't commit to read the Book of Mormon or ask God anything--he just wants to thank God which, don't get me wrong, is awesome--but in order to be converted, he needs to read the Book of Mormon, and pray about it!  That is absolutely essential. We are boldly, lovingly inviting him, but everyone has agency. Anyway, I wish sometimes I could convey the feelings I have about the gospel to others; but if we aren't willing to exercise our agency righteously, there isn't much God can testify of through the spirit. So please pray for S.

We also teach an English class each week, and I am pretty excited about a man we met there! He is coming to our family home evening at the church tonight, which is awesome!  He has a ton of potential. He seems humble and teachable, so we are excited to meet him tonight. One thing I have learned so much on my mission is the importance of honest, open meaningful prayer. Sometimes it is hard out here!  And at home I would often talk to Mom and Dad, Andy, Mindy, Seth, (and you when you were home, Allie!), but out here you can't do that! So you learn to pray. You learn to tell God the good and the bad, to ask Him if He's really there, if He knows about you, and why He lets some things happen.  And through all this--I have learned that He is there.

He is there!

He loves us. He wants us to be happy. He wants us to be successful and have joy; He is our father. He wants us to learn. He wants us to grow. He knows the very best way that we can do that. And he gives us what we need to do that. I am so grateful for a loving Father in Heaven who wants me to not only be happy right now, but for eternity, with my family.  Everything he does leads to that end--eternal joy with our family.

I am grateful for prayer! Prayer brings peace. In 1st Nephi, it says, "And it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord; and after I had prayed the winds did cease, and the storm did cease, and there was a great calm."

Just like Nephi, I know that prayer can bring a great calm! When life's storms and winds hit, don't forget about our loving Father who is King of all.  I love you all so much--and I want to invite and encourage you to think about your prayers, and try to pour out your soul to God. Tell Him the good and the bad, and ask Him direct questions. He will answer them, I know that is true.

Love my family!!  I hope you all have an awesome week! I think about you and pray for you all. I hope you look for opportunities to serve and help others. Encourage them. Be bold! Let love be the motivation of your boldness--you know how much this gospel can bless them, so be persistent and pray for opportunities. Thanks for all your encouragement and love! Let's do this!

Love,

Elder Beckett

No comments:

Post a Comment