Sunday, March 19, 2017

March 12, 2017

Hey Family! I want to start with my spiritual message today. Sometimes I run out of time a bit and don't get to share what I could or should.

This week I read 2 Nephi 4.  This is sometimes known as "Nephi's Psalm" because of the powerful, emotional way Nephi pours out his heart into the words found in this chapter. Before I talk about what is in it, I think it is important to know a little background information. Leading up to 2nd Nephi 4, Lehi is giving his last words to each of his sons; it is at this portion of the Book of Mormon that we have some of the greatest sermons on agency, Adam and Eve, and the Plan of Salvation. Lehi testifies to his family with all the convincing power he has, "according to the feelings of his heart and the Spirit of the Lord." From the time they left Jerusalem, perhaps before that point in time, Lehi was concerned about the welfare of his two oldest sons, Laman and Lemuel. Time and time again, he testifies, prophecies, teaches, exhorts them, but nothing seems to stick. This is a great source of heartache for Lehi and Sariah, and Lehi even shares, in 2nd Nephi 1, "I desire that ye should remember to observe the statutes and judgments of the Lord; behold, this hath been the anxiety of my soul from the beginning. My heart hath been weighed down with sorrow from time to time, for I have feared...that ye be cut off."

Nephi, on the other hand, was obedient, quick to obey his father's words. In fact, Nephi often testified of the same truths as his father, reteaching, and helping his brother to understand. In the first part of 2nd Nephi 4, Lehi finishes his teachings to his children and grandchildren. After delivering his words, he "waxed old" and he passed away. Although Nephi knew the Plan of Happiness, the wonderful, beautiful truth that families can live together forever, this must have been a very difficult loss for him to lose his father, whom he loved, revered, and followed.  In addition to the emotional effect of losing a father, this death made things difficult between Nephi and his brothers, Laman and Lemuel. For while Laman and Lemuel didn't always obey or follow their father, they did seem to respect his words more than they did Nephi's.  And after Lehi's death, they became quite angry again with Nephi, to the point that they wanted to take his life. Nephi only sought to do what was right, to keep the commandments, and follow the Lord, but he faced so many different trials, and in addition to it all, Nephi's personal weaknesses seem magnified to him to the point that it caused him to despair. He seemed to feel very inadequate before God, as we all are.

During this heartbreaking time of stress, sorrow, frustration, and perhaps fear, Nephi writes these words:

"O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities. I am encompassed about, because of the temptations and the sins which do so easily beset me. And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins."

Sometimes we can all feel this way! We want to rejoice, to be happy, but there is something that seems to be the roadblock of our happiness. But we, as Nephi, can overcome. We, as Nephi, can face what we need to face. We, as Nephi, can choose happiness rather than sorrow.

Because we, as Nephi, "know in whom [we] have trusted."

Our God hath been our support; he hath led us through our afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved us upon the waters of the great deep. He hath filled us with his love, even unto the consuming of our flesh! O then, if we have seen so great things, if the Lord in his condescension unto the children of men hath visited men in so much mercy, why should our hearts weep and our souls linger in the valley of sorrow, and our flesh waste away, and our strength slacken, because of our afflictions?

And why should we yield to sin, or sorrow, or frustration, or depression, or anxiety, because of our flesh? Yea why should we give way to temptations, that the evil one have place in our hearts to destroy our peace and afflict our souls? Why are we angry because of our enemy?

Awake my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.

Do not anger again because of mine enemies. Do not slacken my strength because of mine afflictions.  Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation. (2nd Nephi 4:18-30ish, with some changes).

I pray that we can all rejoice in the Lord. Let us praise Him, and rely upon the rock of our Salvation. As Moses in the Old Testament, taught, when facing the future filled with fear and uncertainty, "Fear ye not...The Lord shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace." (Exodus 14:13-14)

Love you all so much. I pray for you! I know that we can all rely on Him who is the same yesterday, today, and forever, even our Father in Heaven, and His son, Jesus Christ.

Also, I would encourage you all to watch the new Mormon message about rock climbing. I bawled when I saw it, not going to lie. I LOVE MY BROTHERS!!!

Sorry, got to go.  But I love you all! Have a great week!!

Love,

Elder B




No comments:

Post a Comment