Saturday, April 22, 2017

Happy Easter! (April 16, 2017)

Hello everyone! Happy Easter--I hope you all had a great day!  This has been a cool week. Here are some cool things we did this week:  I think you have all seen the Prince of Peace video, right? The church produced some cool pass along cards that go with it, as well as church invitations. So we have been working with those a lot, sharing the video with different people. One of my favorite activities was visiting a great family in our ward, sharing the video with them, and giving each member of the family an invitation card to use to invite a friend to church.  They have 3 sons and 2 daughters, the oldest is my age, so it was pretty fun!  We also did practices/role plays with them for how to invite friends. They are a super cool family.

We also met with a few new investigators this week. These last few weeks we have just been meeting people like crazy!  We ate at a burger place called Lotteria, I think, in English, with one of our investigators. Koreans kind of don't like that restaurant, but to me it doth not stink, I like it! Haha...

Also, our bishop has a restaurant that we travel to every other week, and we share a spiritual message with him and talk about missionary work, and he feeds us delicious food! He and his wife are just so...just so good. They just emanate love and really take care of us, like parents! And what humble good people. Most people in Korea are converts if they are over the age of maybe 30, so it is neat to ask people about their conversion stories. Anyway, after Bishop fed us pork ribs (they cook them right at the table!) and soup and lots of delicious stuff, they gave us a bag of cereal, milk, chocolate, etc. We shared the Easter video with them, too, and gave them invitations to give out.  As we left, they told us that they were so grateful for us, that they loved us, and were always so glad when we come. It is so humbling to meet these kind of wonderful people, who just give and give and love and serve. I want to be that way!

Last week we also had an interesting experience with these two potential investigator brothers, 19 and 20 in Korean age. Elder M and I had met them on the street a long time ago; we had invited them to come play basketball with us and the young men, but they cancelled last minute, and then we didn't contact them again because of how many different people we are trying to contact and meet with. Sangin used to be a two team area, but now we are the only ones. Anyway, earlier this week, these brothers called us. The little brother said he wanted to meet this weekend, so I asked if wanted to play ball with us, and he said, "Let's go to a meat buffet together!" So we thought that would be fun, but a little expensive. We made an appointment for Saturday. Then Saturday morning he texted us and said he and his bro didn't have money, and they asked us to pay. Elder S and I were a little frustrated and sad, because sometimes people meet with missionaries, because they see them as rich--someone who will buy them food--and we thought these boys didn't really want to meet with us, but just wanted free food. We suggested just eating fast food so we could pay our own, and they said they really had no money, and asked us again to pay. Although I want to help, it is probably best to not just buy food for people.  Even though we were frustrated and things with their forwardness, a part of me was sympathetic, and wondered what kid of background they were from. A member had given us a bunch of ramen, so we invited the boys to come to the church and eat ramen with us. They gratefully accepted.

Although a little unkempt, they were such smiley boys. Just happy, and had a very innocent feeling to them. I asked about their family, and it turned out that they had no father, just a mother. The older boy was attending college, and the younger one is a senior in high school. They were very grateful for the ramen, and we shared the Prince of Peace video and taught a little bit about what we do as missionaries. They were willing to pray with us at the end, and want to learn more about the gospel. They were very excited to meet again, and said, "Next time we will bring the ramen!"

I learned so much from this experience about not pre-judging others, and giving people the benefit of the doubt. Because we have been given much, we too must give! I was grateful that God provided a way for us to "do what we can" without overstepping our boundaries as missionaries. I saw how much these brothers loved each other, and they were willing to jump in and help. Without being asked, they went to the kitchen sink and worked together to wash and dry the dishes. I couldn't help but see two brothers with a rough background, working together, and though they may miss a father's influence, they do their best to keep going in the way they think is best.

I am grateful for my missionary calling. I am grateful for the times when God gives me "eyes to see" others as, in some small degree, their loving Heavenly Father sees them.  I loved what Elder S. Mark Palmer taught about the scriptural phrase: "Then Jesus, beholding him, loved him." Somedays I feel an outpouring of love for those I don't even know. I look at them and think, "Isn't it amazing how much potential they have? How much their Father in Heaven wants them to be happy, to be successful and to return home to Him some day?" I know this love doesn't originate from me, but from a much more deep, eternal, and great source of love. Everything God gives to us, any trial or blessing, is given out of love. I know that He understands us perfectly!

One last thing I want to share in this message. Dad shared this with me, and I think originally it was from President May in a Stake Conference talk. When you substitute the word "infirmities" for the word "weaknesses," we gain a greater understanding of the Savior's sacrifice:

"11. And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.

12. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their weakness, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their weakness."

We all have weakness. I know that I do! God knows it too. And because He perfectly understands my weakness, He also perfectly understands what kind of things I need in my life to help me overcome my weakness. And He who "makes weak things become strong" will give us those circumstances we need to best prepare us to live with Him again. I testify that is true!

Love
Elder Beckett

No comments:

Post a Comment