Friday, April 14, 2017

Transfers! (April 2, 2017)

Transfer week!  So, I am staying in Sangin, but everyone else, sisters included, and my beloved brother/companion Elder M, is leaving! I'm going to miss him. My new companion was just trained in GyungJu, just like me, and Sangin is his 2nd area, just like me, and I will be follow up training him. His name is Elder S--remember the picture Karmen sent you, Mom? He is my new comp!  Here is my letter to President this week:
Me and a cute little boy in the ward
"How the time flies!  I can't believe I am starting my 6th transfer. I am so excited to be able to serve here in Sangin for another transfer. This area is so wonderful. The members work great with you, and even though it has slow times and busy times, it is a great area. I will miss Elder M so much! I learned a whole lot from him in these two transfers serving together; I'm so grateful we could have that second one together, because I felt like a lot of my progression and things I learned came during this last transfer, so thank you so much for listening to the Spirit about transfer calls.

Elder M and I learned a lot about developing faith and exercising faith, talking openly with one another, working together to be positive, and keeping going! Elder M is a great example of patience. He is so loving, quick to forgive, slow to remember things that I messed up with, and quick to compliment me. He built my confidence and desire to do missionary work, and inspired me to be a more dedicated and consecrated missionary. When I was a little nervous to talk to someone, whether on the street, the subway, or a bus, Elder Meyer would jump right in and do it without another thought, boldly testifying, never ashamed to be a disciple of Christ. He would always be willing to go off the planned path with me, or go back to talk to someone we missed, no matter how tired or inconvenient. I sure love Elder M, and I will treasure this time I spent with him.
Elder M and I meeting with one of our investigators before Elder M was transferred.
I know this new transfer call is inspired, too! I really look forward to working with Elder S. He is a great missionary, and we will "Keep Going!" here in Sangin.  He actually was friends with my cousin in Idaho before the mission, so he knew her when I asked!  Small world. This last week was great--we were able to find 2 new investigators through the 30/30 program. However, they both seem willing to learn about the gospel, too, as when we met them for our 1st appointment, we took them on a church tour first thing, including showing the baptismal font, and gave them a Book of Mormon.  The second time we met one of them, he had read the title page, introduction, testimonies of 3 witnesses, 8 witnesses, and the testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith, too! His wife is a strong member of another church, but he hasn't attended much recently. Needless to say, we are excited to work with them.

One of the investigators we met a couple weeks ago during morning proselyting. Elder M and I were almost done with morning jundo, but it was around 8:55, and we had already looped back by our villa, which is close to the church, as well as the citizen center. We didn't want to cut our jundo time short, but we didn't see anyone in the area around us, just empty streets, and we didn't have time to go out very far. So with faith that God would send someone, we waited! While standing on the street by the citizen center, with Book of Mormons in our hands, a 50-60 year old man rode up on his bike and hopped off.  We walked over to him, started talking, and found out that he lives close in the area, and works at the citizen center which is directly across from the church! So he has seen our church often, and wonders a little bit about it. We got his contact info, met with him later, and set up the 30/30 program. We have another appointment for this week! So we are super excited to work with him. I am so grateful we exercised our faith to stay out until the last minute, and we were definitely blessed because of it!"

The trees here are covered in huge, beautiful flowers!
Well family, we will be watching conference this weekend! I am super excited! I love conference :)  Thanks for telling me about it in your individual emails.  You guys asked me if I have met Elder Choi, the Seventy who spoke in General Conference. Yeah! Elder Choi came to our mission for mission tour, and I got to talk to him just a little bit as we all shook his hand. Super great man. Something even funnier was when Elder Holland visited Korea right after Allie left. Elder Choi and another Seventy attended the event, and Elder Holland did a little intro and said something like, "We absolutely love Elder Choi and Sister Choi. They are wonderful. They served as amazing mission presidents, and they are loved by all those around them. In fact, let me tell you a little secret. April General Conference. Sunday Morning Session.  Second Speaker, right after President Monson. And before President Uchdorf.  Who will speak?  *(points to Elder Choi)* That's right. Don't tell President Monson I told you."  Haha!  We were all dying laughing!
Our lunch one day--our bishop's family game us the bread and chopchae and bananas, and we bought the peppers and tomatoes. We are trying to eat healthy, I promise!  :)

Getting my haircut!
Anyway, I love you all and have to go! Have a stellar week, and remember to say your prayers and read your scriptures and sing hymns and serve others and seek the spirit :)

Love,

Elder Beckett

No comments:

Post a Comment