Sunday, January 21, 2018

Baptismal Dates and Weaknesses (January 7, 2018)

Hey fam!

Awesome week! We were able to meet with the S_ family again! We arrived at the T_ home, had a meal together, then started the lesson. When we asked if they had talked about baptism with each other, and what they thought, they said they still hadn't talked about it. So I almost just gave them the same invitation again... but as Elder K_ was talking I felt like I should give them a baptismal date as a goal. So I invited them to prepare to be baptized by February 4. And they accepted! To make it better, after that, we asked Sister T_ to share her memories of her baptism, and then their dad, Brother S_, who seems to be conflicted the most about religion, to share his memory of his baptism. He was 18 or 19 he said, when he was baptized. And when he was baptized, it was just like joining a big family, that the church was so good to him and helped him so much. It was neat that he could share that, and I think it helped his kids with their decision. Please pray for the S_ children to be able to prepare to be baptized by February 4th!

On new year's day, we went and saw the sunrise with this awesome couple. It's a new year's tradition here to see the sun rise. I love them--they are the best!
Here we are eating with them. Great new convert couple!
This week we also met with S_ and talked a lot about baptism with him, as well as E_, our awesome African friend. They are both so pure in heart and good, and enjoyed learning about Joseph Smith. As they pray about baptism, please pray that they will feel through the Holy Ghost that it is the right decision! 

One cool thing is that, on Saturday, we gave E_ a tour of our church before we met with him, and when he saw the picture of the Seoul temple he was really surprised-- "Wait! That's your church?? I didn't know that!" Then he told us a story of how he was in Seoul, and two American women asked him for directions. He helped them climb hills and wind through the city and found the temple! They asked him to take a picture for them, and he also took a picture of himself with it, because he thought it looked cool, even posted it on Facebook. Then a few weeks later he saw a picture of the temple at our church and connected the dots! Pretty cool.

Today I just wanted to share a little about weakness. Everyone has things they are good at, and everyone has things that are hard for them. Whether academically, physically, spiritually, emotionally, and any other way, each of us has times when we feel like we just don't measure up-- we are a couple marks too short, a few seconds too slow, a few points under our needed score. I know I have felt weak a lot in my lifetime. It is really easy to compare our abilities with others, which usually doesn't result in anything positive. So this morning I took a look at what the scriptures have to say about weakness. Here are some cool things I learned

1) Why do we have weaknesses? This is answered in Ether (12:27): " I give unto men weakness that they may be humble" Simple enough, if we are to have the Christlike qualities we need for exaltation, we need to learn humility! I also think that it would be detrimental and preventative to our ability to grow and progress in this life if we were perfect in everything. I am grateful for what I learn in my weakness, although most of the time it isn't easy to learn.

2) What should we do about our weakness? This is answered in the same verse: "and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

However, my favorite thing I found regards the question, (3) )"What can the Lord do, even though I am weak?"

I'm on exchanges in this picture, with our friend S_.
 The apostle Paul, when praying to have some kind of pain or weakness or something along those lines removed from him wrote the following as inspiration from God:
 "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong." (2nd Cor. 12:9-10)
He also shares the following in his first letter to the Corinthians, found as chapter 1, verse 27, "But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;"

Lastly, I would just like to share, as a comfort for the times when all we seem to see is our weakness-- when we forget our strengths, perhaps to the point where we may feel overwhelmed, burdened, weary, or even depressed-- the simple counsel that the Savior gives to us, as recorded in Matthew 11: 28-30 "

28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Love you family! I know that we are meant to have weakness, but I also know that we can overcome them. God brings to pass great miracles through small things! Keep turning to the Savior, learning about his perfect life and example, and you will feel his power enter your life.

Love,
Nate

If you want to do additional study, I love the conference talk by Elder Holland: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2017/10/be-ye-therefore-perfect-eventually?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment