Monday, October 10, 2016

Splits! and Cake! And Korea! (October 2, 2016)

Hi family!! So I got my hair cut today, and it was just under ten bucks. And the lady who cut my hair gave us a little rice cake after! The Korean people are super generous, especially when it comes to food. And also this morning, we went to a bath house...I don't recommend it. Ha ha awkward...
We went to a little Korean place, and paid $6 for kimchi soup and all these awesome side dishes! Delicious!
Our mission president sent an email with a theme of "Just one more." I've been thinking about that a lot this week. So last night, we were walking back to the apartment, and it was 8:52 when we arrived. We decided to proselyte a little longer, and we found a middle-aged man who was very kind, and interested in the Gospel. We gave him a Book of Mormon and received his contact information. We talked to him for about 30 minutes. God rewards every effort we make to work hard and obey Him. He magnifies our efforts more than we can understand!

Allie is the BEST! She sent me a box with some cake, treats, and food! And such a sweet letter. I have some stuff for her but I haven't sent it yet...
Kyung Ju is a wonderful place. I am so grateful to serve here. The members are amazing! For example, a deaf woman was recently baptized, and now almost the whole ward takes sign language classes from her husband each week after church--and they communicate with her. It is not a large ward, but the members are amazing. We are trying to serve them and the leaders here.

This is my Zone Leader, Elder R. We did splits together this week. He is an AWESOME missionary!
I am also grateful for my companion. He is a diligent, hard-working missionary. He is teaching me a lot!  My Korean is progressing. I am working hard each day on grammar, vocab, and speaking. I am grateful for the opportunity to learn a wonderful language.
Our ward mission leader took us to an awesome American buffet--it was so good! He was super generous.
You asked about the food:  we are in charge of buying food, so I don't eat weird stuff for breakfast, haha! I eat cereal, eggs, toast...But I think most Koreans do just eat normal food for breakfast! And I looooove kimchi chigae, and just basic bulkogi with rice...We haven't eaten a ton of Korean food. But this week a lot of people took us out to eat! One investigator bought pork leg for us! They leave the skin and fat on these little pieces that are boneless--good flavor, super weird, chewy texture.  They do that with all meat--we eat chicken that way too. The chicken wasn't as weird as the pork, haha!  But I love the writing on the picture below--sometimes the Konglish (Korean to English) is so funny!


"Here's an example from a butterfly an example that it can lie happy on a hard rock, an example that it can lie on this unsweetened stone friendlessly and all alone now let my bed I do not care."  Sometimes the English is hilarious!!!!
I have to go now, but I am doing great day to day! I love the work, I am working hard! I pick out a bit of Korean. Anyway, I have to go, so sorry. Bye bye, be safe! Keep praying! Remember God magnifies our every effort.

Love you!
Nate

1 comment: