Thursday, November 10, 2016

My week - November 6, 2016

This week I had the opportunity to help with 4 blessings! I had never done that in Korea until this week! The first one I just stood in on; the next 3, I did the anointing in Korean, and my companion sealed the anointing.  It was a wonderful opportunity. One of the things my stake president counseled me to do before my mission was to seek opportunities to exercise the priesthood, and also to bear testimony of the priesthood. I thought a lot about that this week. As I anointed those people, and stood in on those blessings, there was such a special power there. It definitely wasn't my power--I am so grateful that God trusts me enough to allow me to exercise His power.

Allie's package she sent me full of delicious candy!! Sweetie!!
This week we were a little down because our investigator, J, chose to work on Sunday instead of come to church. He does work day by day. And we are a little concerned about him, because I think he is having a bit of trouble trusting that the Word of Wisdom is God's word. But he loves the Book of Mormon, so we should be able to use that to help him. I have faith that he will overcome this roadblock, though!
The food we ate after District Meeting. Totally delicious!

An elder in our district with my companion on the right.
Speaking of the Book of Mormon, we have really been trying to use that in our teaching lately. It is awesome! As we do, I think it is helping our investigators to understand its importance. I am also loving the daily reading. Here is something cool I learned in the last few days.  Amaleki, in the book of Omni, tells about how King Mosiah and his people departed from the more wicked Nephites, and found the people of Zarahemla, whose language had become corrupted (because they didn't have records). The Nephites couldn't even understand them, so Mosiah and his people taught them the language and the Gospel. I can imagine how much they must have helped the people of Zarahemla! The thing I thought that was awesome was when Amaleki said, "wherefore, I shall deliver up these plates...exhorting all men to come unto God, the Holy One of Israel, and believe in prophesying, and in revelations, and in the ministering of angels, and in the gift of speaking with tongues, and in the gift of interpreting languages, and in all things which are good; for there is nothing which is good save it comes from the Lord: and that which is evil cometh from the devil.

26.  And now my beloved brethren, I would that ye should come unto Christ, who is the Holy One of Israel, and partake of his salvation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him, and continue in fasting and praying, and endure to the end; and as the Lord liveth ye will be saved.

It is his last testimony. And as I read that about the gift of tongues and interpreting languages, I thought about how he had first hand experience with that! I am sure, as Mosiah's people taught the people of Zarahemla, the gift of tongues and interpretation of tongues was manifest. I too can have that gift!  As I pray, and then after saying amen, make the prayer a powerful prayer by going to work, I too can receive this gift. I have already felt it.
We went to a restaurant by the church to eat, and the sister's bought a cake for my companion's birthday.

This is delicious dark chicken stuff!
I love you all so much! I have to get off soon, but know that I love and care about you all a ton!! I pray for you. Keep working hard! Keep doing the things that help you to feel the spirit--as Bishop Bartley teaches, the spirit is SO IMPORTANT in everything we do.

Love you all!

Elder Beckett



No comments:

Post a Comment