Friday, November 4, 2016

My Week (October 30, 2016)

Hey everyone!
Elder O and I at a pizza buffet!

This is my District at the pizza buffet!
This week we were pretty stressed about our investigator, J.  He didn't come to church last week, and he hadn't been answering our calls at night. But the sisters talked with him a bit. He was super golden and was originally going to be baptized on October 30, but because we couldn't finish the lessons with him, we pushed it to November 20. Anyway, he and his wife came to church yesterday, and it was so good to see him again! He is so loving and good. He just wants to do what is right. Work has been pretty hard on him, but yesterday we were able to teach him about the Sabbath Day and the Word of Wisdom. He and his wife were so faithful. They said alcohol and tobacco are not problems, but they have been drinking tea and coffee.  But this is what I wrote to the mission president about it:

"They decided to keep the Word of Wisdom on the spot! J said, "I have been drinking tea all of my life, but this change is good, I like change, we will do it." I just felt so much love for them. I told them that I am blessed as a missionary to feel a portion of what Heavenly Father feels for them--not fully, but from time to time, I can just feel pure love for the investigators as they try to align their lives with the standard God has set for them. They are spiritual children right now, but they are growing!"  They are amazing people. I am blessed to work with them.
This is my info sheet for the ward bulletin board.
We also met a wonderful family from Uzbekistan. Elder Lee and I were going back to the church, and we saw this family.  I said hello and asked about their daughter in Korean, but realized they just looked Korean. Anyway, they were very friendly, and came to the church with us on the spot! We gave them a tour and taught about Joseph Smith. We told them a little about church and things, and got their contact info. The husband speaks English, but the wife only Russian. Then they came to our Halloween party, and the wife, even though she cannot speak English or Korean, came to church yesterday. They have so much potential!

This is our family home evening last week. The man on the far right is from China! we made crafts to get ready for our Halloween Party.

Family Home Evening crafts again

Our Halloween party! These little girls were so cute!

I drew Frankenstein for the cake walk!
Anyway, I love you all! We have been reading the Book of Mormon as a mission in one transfer this transfer--it is wonderful to get this new perspective.  I encourage you all to feast upon God's word. When you choose to study the scriptures, God blesses you for using your personal agency. You give Him power in your life, to guide you and bless you, whether you know it or not. By choosing to pray, keep the commandments, attend church--all of these things give God more influence and help in your life. I know that's true. The Book of Mormon is God's word, and through it we can find, build, and develop a relationship with Him.
Allie's cute letter to me!

Love,

Elder Beckett

No comments:

Post a Comment