Friday, November 25, 2016

Nov 21st, Finishing Training ThisWeek!

Hello Fam! It is week 6, which means next week I will no longer be a trainee! That is strange to think about. I have been almost 5 months on my mission. The time passes pretty fast, but when I think about the future I have a long way to go! I am excited to see what is in store. How are you all on this wonderful day?
Our ward mission leader and his cute 6 year old son. He took us to a special place to eat!
Today I want to share a spiritual thought first. As I already mentioned, we, as a Busan mission, are reading the whole Book of Mormon in one transfer. That is a little over 13 pages a day. And I have to tell you, I am so, so grateful that we have done this. This transfer, as I have read it, I have found such an awesome new love for this book. Reading it at this speed is amazing--you can see patterns and connections more. I also have been inspired by the amazing heroes (especially Captain Moroni:)) and seen lots of areas that I need to improve upon. Above all, I have become certain that this book is inspired of God. There is no other source of the book. As Elder Jeffrey R Holland shared, "In this I stand with my own great-grandfather, who said simply enough, 'No wicked man could write such a book as this; and no good man would write it, unless it were true and he were commanded of God to do so.'"

Each day as I read, I learn so much from the different prophets in the Book, those called of God to lead the church. But I also learn so much from those whose names perhaps go unknown--such as the individual stripling warriors who "did obey and observe to perform every word of command with exactness."  They had not fought before. They were young, and inexperienced. Yet, after a vicious enemy army who had been pursuing them suddenly halted and turned, perhaps falling upon their fellow Nephites, these brave "little sons" responded to the question, "Therefore what say ye, my sons, will ye go against them to battle?" with the absolute answer of, "Father, behold our God is with us, and he will not suffer that we should fall; then let us go forth." (Alma 56-57)

Elder O and I with our awesome investigator. He is progressing super well, repenting, and coming to church!
I am learning so much about God's nature, as well as repentance, as I read about Nephi, Lehi, and the Lamanites who had thrown them into prison. The sinful Lamanites were overcome with "a cloud of darkness, and an awful solemn fear came upon them." They were in such fear that they couldn't even move. But God was so merciful unto them. The fearful, lost Lamanites cried, "What shall we do, that this cloud of darkness may be removed from overshadowing us?" They knew that they were trapped, and that they had to do something, but they didn't know what.  We are all like that sometimes!  Whether it is a trial in our life or a sin or any burden, we all feel confined to the darkness sometimes. We feel oppressed, unable to free ourselves. And we can't free ourselves--by ourselves. Like the Lamanites, as we "repent (which means turning to God, becoming more like our Savior) and cry unto (God), even until ye shall have faith in Christ, " eventually the dark cloud will be removed. I know that that is true. As we turn to our Father in Heaven, He will remove and illuminate the darkness in our lives. He is light. He is The Light. And as we seek to know our Father in Heaven more, and our Elder Brother, the Savior more, that light will distinctly and discernibly brighten our individual lives and circumstances.
I ordered a new nametag because I wanted one spelled just like Allie's!
I am so grateful for the Book of Mormon. I have received personal guidance from it in the way I have described, as well as very clear answers to my prayers. I know that you all have, and can continue to as well. I love you all! I invite you to seek out that light in your lives--take more time for prayer, more time for studying the words we have been given by the God of the Universe, more time to just sit, and ponder about the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I know that if you do that, no matter how bright you already are, this Light will brighten you.

After turning to God and relying on Him, the Lamanites heard the voice come unto them, soothing, "Peace, peace be unto you, because of your faith in my Well Beloved, who was from the foundation of the world." I am so grateful for the light that the gospel brings into my life! I am so grateful that I have the opportunity to share that light, and that you do too! The peace from the Gospel is real, and I know that it is through the Savior that we find that peace.
This is me laying on the ground after a great victory. Elder O and I are both super new--neither of us speaks Korean very well yet. So I called our recent convert and talked on the phone to ask him to teach with us the next day, and had a whole conversation with him! And I understood almost all of it! I was so excited that I fell to the floor (maybe also from my recent Book of Mormon reading--see Ammon, King Lamoni, his father, etc.!)

Love,

Elder Beckett

No comments:

Post a Comment