Monday, January 2, 2017

Happy New Year! (Jan 1, 2016)

Happy New Year!  Things are going really well her in Kyung Ju. I love this area and the members here. And we had a Christmas miracle that we realized yesterday! We prayed and fasted for a Christmas baptism, but nobody was ready who we had been teaching. Anyway, on Christmas when we were on the way to our house, we met a guy right outside our villa named B. He looks Korean, but is from a country that sounds like Tjekistan, and didn't speak Korean, but spoke English. We watched the "Light the World" video with him, and he gave us his contact info, wanting to talk again and keep up his English. I didn't know if he would honestly meet with us again. He said he was super busy during the week, but to call him again on the next Sunday.

The next Sunday came and we were a little busy and things, so we put off calling him. The thought came to my mind a few times, so finally I called him when we were home for dinner. I asked when he could meet and he said that that night he'd be able to! So we hurried and ate and met him.  He is fluent in English. He told us his life story pretty much; working for the US government, having a hard time after being laid off, bouncing from country to country and job to job. He said he wasn't sure why he was in Korea. We found out both of his parents have passed away, and he got a little emotional talking about them. Anyway, he didn't really believe in God. Elder S then shared his life story, which ended up being really powerful, and he ended by testifying that God knew this man and his circumstances and wanted him to be happy. We ended by praying, and this man wants us to meet again later. He seems very ready to receive the Gospel, even though he might need to make some tough changes in his life. He was our Christmas miracle! We found out he had been waiting for us to call him, thinking we had forgotten him! I am so grateful that the Spirit prompted me to call him, and that I was able to follow that prompting.

I'm ringing the gong!
We went to Bulguksa today for my second time, but that's cause I am still in this area! We rode a bus up a mountain to go see an awesome Buddha statue in the mountain, and while we were there, they have this fundraiser thing. Under an ancient looking building, they have this enormous bell, and a big red log on ropes by it. You can pay a dollar and go swing the thing into the gong. I did it. Definitely worth it!





With our investigator, super nice and so humble!


Here is a cool scripture that I want to share with you all for this New Year:

But behold, that which is of God inviteth and enticeth to do good continually; wherefore every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God." (Moroni 7:13).

Sometimes I wonder what things in my life are from God, what things I shouldn't do or say, and what is worth my time. But the way to evaluate is simple. We can use this scripture--it really is powerful. I hope we can all evaluate our thoughts, actions, and words this year, and really try to align our actions with our pefect Savior, Jesus Christ. He really can make more of us than we ever could of ourselves, if we are humble enough to turn to him.
Our ward mission leader and his son, and a great new convert. We had spaghetti and chicken to eat!

Our ward mission leader's son wearing my suit jacket!


Love you all! I have to go, but I'm so grateful for my awesome family!

Elder Beckett

No comments:

Post a Comment